Tuesday, March 27, 2007

India/Dubai wrap-up

I've ignored this blog and all its readers (yes, both of you) for quite some time. Apologies! I'm currently in China, but I'll finish my posts on India and Dubai.

Dubai on-the-surface is fantastic. It has excellent food and all the decadence that the cocktail of oil, money, and business provide. And even if you don't partake in the decadence, you can reap the benefits as an observer. I was in Dubai to attend the wedding of one of a very close friend. It was also the first time in 6 years when all 4 of my close friends from school could all be together.

I'll let the pictures talk.

3 of my friends and I stayed at the somewhat seedy Hotel Jonrad. But at approx. 100 Dirhams, I wasn't complaining!

Dubai Spice Market
I love drinking coconut water and then scooping out and eating the inner white flesh
Think of him the next time you wanna whine about how bad you got it.
I thought he made quite the picture
The "Arba" that ferries you across the river (and at only 0.5 dirhams it is the cheapest entertainment in the city)
A Mosque
We went wadi bashing i.e. ridding up and down the sand dunes in a SUV.
Taken during the dessert safari
Hackneyed entertainment provided for us during the dessert safari
The entrance to the Dubai museum (a converted fort)
Fast Food - - Duba style
Shawarma on the road - -Yummy!
Why I wouldn't stay in Dubai - - Discrimination (racial and gender-based) is fairly common.
A mosque behind one of the wedding reception(s)
Sign in the Mall of the Emirates. Not the sign for "Ski Dubai" the indoor ski lodge in the DESERT.
My friend's wedding reception. (I'm not posting more pictures b/c that would comprimise my covert status)
An arba in the Dubai river

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Is it really you?!? Sweet!

Lovely pictures dear, and I'm soooo glad you are back. :) Don't leave us again!

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes it is really me. I'll try not to be AWOl for so long!

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home