Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Reading fast

One of my bad habits is that I read very fast. I find myself skipping blocks of text, and I have to force myself to slow down when I read something with the intent of "studying it" or I have to re-read the passage.

MR had a brilliant article on reading fast.
The best way to read quickly is to read lots. And lots. And to have started a long time ago.
Tyler has another reading tip:
Here is another reading tip: do less of other activities.
I can't stress how important this is. I don't have cable, and I watch practically no TV during the week save for The Newshour with Jim Lehrer on PBS and Prime Minister's question time from the web, which has freed up a lot of my time. I don't think I'll ever go back to watching as much TV as I used to. I remember a speaker in school likening TV to "brain candy" i.e. it sure tastes good, but it rots your brains.

Here's an idea that I must put to use:
Another way to read quickly is to cut bait on the losers. I start ten or so books for every one I finish. I don't mind disliking a book, and I never regret having picked it up and started it. I am ruthless in my discards.
I need to be more ruthless in my discards. So readers, do you read fast? Do you have any suggestions on how I can change my reading habits so that I savour what I read?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read very quickly, but I liken part of that to having read all the time when I was a child.

One of the things I've always heard about fast readers is that we tend to skip words (not chunks of documents, tsk tsk). So common words like "the" or "that" or even predictible phrases, and we just get straight to the heart of the matter and make (usually correct) assumptions about the fluff. I'm not sure how to advise you to develop that habit, but maybe it at least gives you something more to research.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh one more thought on this. I'm not good with "discarding" books. I used to refuse to put a book down until I finished it, but now will do it every once in a while. I think only finishing one book for every ten is ridiculous though--it shows the guy is not a careful consumer and is not thinking carefully about what he is putting in his bag, which is nothing to brag about (and makes me wonder what his love life is like, haha). I also think that sometimes a book may be painful to get through, but worth it in the end, both for what ideas or stories it may hold, and because in social situations it helps to be able to say "Oh yah, I finished Freakonomics, here's my thoughts..."

I think the last book I refused to finish was the DaVinci Code. :P

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home