Sunday, September 17, 2006

If it's September this must be Belgium

I'm in Belgium (Mechelen), bad pun on a Eurovision song not withstanding. Europe feels like a fairyland; it's exquisitely beautiful, the food is heavenly, and the people very warm and giving. Europe has categorically repudiated the Anglo-Saxon/American notion of "time is money." I can't help but be struck by how effectively Europe has steered away from the trap of working very hard just so that one can buy material possessions. Over here, people take time to eat, drink, chat and chat with friends. All the shops are closed on Sundays and most shops close for an hour after lunch.

Adjusting for health-care, Europe has roughly the same GPD per capita as the US. It's no surprise that despite eating rich and heavy food and smoking quite a bit, people in Europe live longer than people in the US. That's because they don't get stressed out by working all the time, live in close communities, and walk/bicycle a lot.

I think I'm falling in love with Europe harder this time (yes, yes, I know I fall in and out of love much too easily, but that's a post for a different time!)

These folks were listening to an outdoor concert


Passion for life Just passion
In Europe, even the pigeons eat crepes
The view from the cafe where I had dinner Wanting to grow old together (one of my favorite descriptions of being in love)
Sounds from a recorder

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home