Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Hyperopia: An excess of farsightedness

MR links to this story from the NYT where a professor and his student have come to the conclusion that those who had chosen work over pleasure tended to feel more dissatisfied with their choice later on then those who had chosen pleasure over work.

So why have I posted this? But even though I tend to choose "work" over "pleasure," I don't feel any pangs of remorse. I suspect -- as one commenter points out -- on how you define "party." As an undergraduate, I actively looked for ways to avoid going to parties. I would rather sit around with friends and talk/debate or go to the symphony or retire to my room to catch up on my reading. And yes, I'm boring that way!
“In the long run,” Kivetz says, “we inevitably regret being virtuous and wish we’d been bigger hedonists.”
I can see this being true in certain situation, but I don't think its always true. But then, nobody on his/her deathbed ever wished that he or she had put in more hours at the office.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home