Saturday, July 15, 2006

The joy of shaving (is that a typo?)

If there's one thing that I hate more than getting up in the morning (I'm a nocturnal person and as Google Quotes reminds me "Early morning cheerfulness can be extremely obnoxious." ), it's going into the bathroom and running the cold steel of the razor down the morning stubble. Oh, how I hate that.

Then I discovered ye lost olde arte of shaving:

On Monday, I applied Lavender Shaving Cream made by Taylor of Old Bond Street on the brush and lathered-up.

On Tuesday, it was the turn of the Italian Proraso (con olio Eucalipto e Mentolo).

On Wednesday, it was Avocado shaving cream from my Old Bond Street friends.

On Thursday, it was Violet shaving cream from Geo Trumper of Mayfair, Londonh.

And I ended the week with the intoxicating Musgo Real from Portugal.

(Sorry, I don't shave on the weekends; though exeptions can be made).

I had NO idea that using a shaving brush and old-fashioned shaving cream would make such a difference. Make no mistake; shaving still feels like a chore, but I love the feeling as the shaving brush rubs again my face and the heady aromas of the shave-creams.

Actually, my dad used to shave the old-fashioned way, but part of my teenage rebellion was to instead use a can of shaving gel and apply it with my fingers as opposed to with a brush. I'm so glad that I've finally seen the way!

Another thought: Like most small boys, I used to watch with amazement as my dad lathered-up and shaved, and I couldn't wait for the time when I could take part in that grown-up ritual. When I actually shaved, it took me 5 minutes to realize that I HATED it!

Men do many incredible things for the woman they love (The Taj Mahal etc), but rare is the man who promises to dillegently shave for the rest of their union.

It was -- and is still -- possible, in India, to go to a barber-shop and get a very close shave followed by a refreshing head-massage with coconut oil; I wish I could do that here in the US. I'm really looking forward to going to Air-Cool in Bombay, in December and getting a shave and head-massage. I promise to post pictures!

That is all!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home